October 11, 2007

Smells Like Alcohol and Mold

First off, if you happen to be in New York City tonight, I have rejoined my old band and we are playing at 8 pm at some place called The Underscore at 89th street and First avenue. We'll be playing garage nuggets and stuff from bands like The Heartbreakers and The Stooges. Should be interesting, as I have only practiced with them once!

End of commercial message.

So , I went to see Bruce Springsteen in New Jersey last nite. Talk about preaching to the converted, the entire arena hung on every word sang and note played. As expected, it was a great show and a whole lot of fun. The band is tight, Bruce is still Bruce and the beer flowed all night long. More details of the show can be found here.

We got lucky. A business associate is friends with the publisher of a very well known music magazine and they are doing a cover story on Springsteen. As a result, they had all access passes. We were still in traffic trying to get to the show when my buddy got a text message "where are you guys, I'm with Bruce". Well, we didn't get there in time to meet Bruce. However, we were able to upgrade our tickets from behind stage nosebleeds to 15th row, right off the floor in the first section. So that worked very nicely.

Plus, Bruce is nice enough to let his wife sing a song... I think it was called "Piss Break". Maybe not, but that's what I did during the song!

Here's one for you philosophers... the line for Guinness and Bass was non existent. Yet the line for Coors Lite was 20 deep. What the heck is wrong with people? Why would anyone drink crappy beer when they could drink Guinness (for the same price!). Fukkin Jersey-ites!

Anyway, hungover to hell this morning. My wife told me that I smell like alcohol and mold (and this was after I showered!).


When I am this hurt, I like to ease into the day with the smooth sounds of Black Flag. Here's your chance too!

Toonage:


6 comments:

Zoooma said...

Ahh yeah, the smooth sounds of Hank Rollins to cure a hangover.... ohhhh-kay.

Anyway, walking back after my run and listening to Magic again, I pondered: what if Bruce (semi-)retired and just played weekends and surprise gigs BARS on the Jersey Shore and around NJ/NYC? Would people move to Jersey from Germany and Brazil and Arizona and Minnesota just to be able to hear him all the time? Would there be sure a demand that such gigs wouldn't even be possible? I guess what I'm gettin' at is he's become huger than life and it's really somethin' to see.

And all those people seein' Bruce rock out in a bar holding only 200 people, they'd all be drinkin' piss beer. It's not just people in NJ, dude... that's everywhere. So sad. I'd rather not drink than indulge in Pukeweiser or coors or corona. Gimme a Bass or Guinness any day!

Anonymous said...

Dood. Saw the Boss twice on the "Born in the USA" tour - my jaw was on the floor for both 4+ hour sets. I was the best thing I'd seen up to that point in my life.

Did he slide across the stage to kiss Clarence? Is Clarence even in the E Street Band anymore? Is Clarence still alive?

Nazz Nomad said...

clarence had a chair/stool that he would recline in when he wasn't playing the horn (or hitting a tambourine). No kissing and no sliding from Bruce... he's 58 after all and he might have broken a hip!

The e-street band would make a heckuva bar band, that's for sure!

Unknown said...

Coors over Guiness? I'm with you. I had a friend who would always refuse to drink Coors saying, "That money is going straight to Jesse Helms!" As if that wasn't bad enough, it's piss beer.

Good luck with the gig. Let us know how it goes.

Nazz Nomad said...

I never made it to the gig last nite! aargghhh. NY had a major torrential rainstorm and out where I live, the highways were actually shut down due to flooding.
I might be getting old,but r n r isn't worth possible vehicular sucicide anymore.

manicgirl said...

You know, I check this site all the time and I missed your entry re: playing with *band*. I'da been there as it's merely across town on the bus for me. Good thing I didn't go. I'da been ranting about it all night.