All the cool kids are doing it, so I’ll pipe in. Here’s my Top Ten for 2007.
- The Spirit Of Radio – Rush : Because this is the best song EVERY YEAR!
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Petra Haden: The most suspenseful 10 minutes of fiction on TV in years was whether Tony Soprano was gonna eat lead. And then the perfect Punk Rock ending… a cut to black. This is a great version of the song that served as The Soprano’s coda. Besides, I fucking hate Journey. I mean, I really fucking hate Journey. I hate Journey more than I hate the Red Sox. And I really hate the fucking Red Sox.
- The Way It Is – Nicole Atkins : Dusty Springfield in
updated for the post apocalyptic world. Or Memphis Brooklyn. Ah, what's the diff between em anyway. Just beautiful. Buy her album here!
- Pull Shapes – The Pipettes : Yeah, its manufactured sugar coated girl group pop. But if I have to lust after some British birds, it’s gonna be these whitebread Ronettes, not the slag heap Spice Girls. An eightball, some ether, The Pipettes and a room in Vegas would be very interesting.
- The Decline – NOFX : Because this gets more relevant every year. The soundtrack of the GW Bush era.
- Good Times Bad Times – Led Zeppelin (live O2 arena December 12, 2007) – Because the only thing that would’ve been met with more anticipation and demand was gonna be if Jesus H. Christ rose from the dead and sold tickets through a lottery for salvation. Whether or not it sucked is irrelevant.
- Almost Ready – Dinosaur Jr.: The recorded reunion of the year. Noise is for heroes. And sloppy guitar rules, OK?
- Gypsy Biker – Bruce Springsteen: This song haunts me. It's about time he wrote a good song.
- Hold Tight - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch: Because Tarantino is the king of movie soundtracks. And that fuzz tone is wild and wiggy. And this was released like 44 years ago originally and sounds fresher than douchebags like The Bravery.
- Girlfriend – Fuck-Punk Lavigne : Because it doesn’t get any more dishonest and contrived than this. I hope her fucking head explodes on national TV. The perfect song for this reprehensible century. My wish is for her to star in the remake of “2 girls one cup” with Rosie O’Donnell.