December 5, 2009

Blindsided & Backstabbed


Laid off. Reduced In Force. Blindsided. Backstabbed. And fucked.

My worst (non familial) nightmare happened this past week. The bullet with my name on it caught me square in the back. Right now I am experiencing alternating scenarios of the Kubler Ross 5 stages of dying.

The one that Kubler Ross never talks about is terror of the future. How will I support my family? How will I pay my mortgage?

My (old) company is circling the drain, but this still came as a complete shock. I had about a 2 hour warning when I was able to decipher the smoke signals. I had spent the last couple of weeks trying to save someone's job. Guess what? That "someone" was spared and took MY job. I will give the bastards credit...they hid it well and the knowledge of my corporate beheading was kept to a very select few. The "package" that they offered me might have well have been shit wrapped in an old cardboard box. Still trying to negotiate a better one. After a decade and a half, I deserve better.

The hardest job is finding one.

13 comments:

Denier said...

That sucks, man! They couldn't wait till after the fucking holidays? At least I got laid off in August, also after being at the same company for 17+ years. They offered me a two-week severance package before I demanded a full month. I should have tried for much, much more, and so should you.

Good luck with landing on your feet.

AC'63 said...

Keep you head up ... I've gone through this 4 times over the last twenty years... remember your family it there to support you.
Take your frustrations out in the music.

Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time commentator. My thoughts go out to you. This type of situation blows, especially when you've got a family, mortgage, etc. I pulled a "Johnny Paycheck" in May of
2008, which turned out to be terrible timing. 6 months later it was alright. Keep some perspective, try to enjoy your time way from work, and stay positive. You know you're gonna end working, and doin' something.

Onwards,

Mr. Peanut

deuce said...

I relate, chief. Keep yourself busy, both in the pursuit and for your personal health. Lean on your support system, they're the most important tool you have in both mental health AND finding the next gig. Simplyhired.com is a good source to set up daily search results, and strangely craigslist is more effective than even I intended. And email me the official Stupid Thoughts you'll have at 3am, kvetching about the future. I had them too, but that's your mind screwing with you.

Unknown said...

Sorry to read this news. This economy sucks, big time.

Chris said...

Nazz,

You're awesome and will make it through this. I like the idea of taking frustrations out on the music. Now you have more time for punk rock at least.

Best,

Chris

Anonymous said...

Bad news, hope you get sorted soon.

SeƱorDolor said...

Ugh. I got the ax earlier in the year and visited the ol' Kubler Ross as well. First thing I did was do something for myself that I never did during my working years. Take a loooong vaca. It didn't stop the inevitable down cylces but it did give me a much needed break when it was the most needed. Hang in there Nazz, you always have music.

LydiaBrunch said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry. Thinking of you.

Longy said...

Sorry to hear of your rotten news Nazz. Keep your chin up and try to appreciate the time you have with your family in the meantime. Life is too short as it is. Your working time will come again in the New Year,I'm sure. Its all gonna be Neat Neat Neat and Theres Light At The End Of The Tunnel!

Unknown said...

sorry about this. good luck.

FireInTheSun said...

Hey man,

I'm a lurker who's been reading your blog regularly for over a year now. I apologize for not writing sooner. Just wanted to say that I think this fucking blows, but that you seem like a righteous dude with a lot of balls and a lot of heart, which means you can persevere. You and yours will be on my mind.

Hang in there...

Punkzer0 said...

Sorry to hear the bad news. keep going mate, we're all here for you.