September 10, 2008

(Un)Comfortably Numb


Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness

So, is it better to feel nothing or to be affected by things to the point that it's personally damaging? Sometimes the self medicating just isn't effective.
A friend of mine explained to me that "some things are just bigger than you and it's nothing to be ashamed of". I'm not so sure about that. But it is certainly worth trying to pick curtain #2 rather than always selecting curtain #1. Maybe there's something better than canned squid behind it.

Bookage -

Toonage:

5 comments:

Pig State Recon said...

I suppose, ideally, we find some happy medium: that place where emotions are firing well, but where you can also step back, take stock, and get proper perspective when/if necessary. To be affected by everything to the point that's personally damaging, well . . . that sounds like an endless version of this one bummer LSD trip I once took. And comfortably numb? Nothing but a fatalistic, shitty AOR rock tune to me.

Rinjo Njori! said...

What about Black Flag's "I Don't Care" ....

"Feel" is by far 100x better than most 70s rock.

infinite fool said...

What's wrong with canned squid? I mean, it can't compare to the fresh stuff, but it'll do in a pinch. Know what I mean?

Know what else is good? Sea urchin. That's good. It's not roe, like some people think; it's actually the gonads. That's the only part you can eat. Mighty tasty, though. Even better than canned squid.

Uncle E said...

It may be a cliche but "stress" is 10% the actual thing and 90% the way we react to it.
That being said, I gotta say it's been a f&$kin' stressful week at work and it IS affecting me in a negative way!

Sugarmag said...

I have never eaten canned squid but I think it would taste like fishy rubber bands. Ewww! I hope everything is ok and you are feeling less stress. Take care.