July 20, 2009

Yeah Yeah Yeah



We went to see Paul McCartney's show last Friday as he popped the concert cherry at Citifield. Paid $20 for $70 nosebleed tix, found free parking, packed a couple of 6 packs of really cheap beer ($6 for a 12 pack!)and found a tailgate party. Rock n Roll. Or something.

A little creepy to be there... so many Beatle freaks (usually in the disguise of middle aged men and women), but a demographic of 7 to 70 years old.

So what if the tailgaters thought I was a homeless guy (I had my punk rock threads on).

The first third of the show featured alot of new stuff (he opened with the crappy Beatles tune (and advert) "Drive My Car") and the only other Beatles song he played towards the beginning was "Got To Get You Into My Life (the video screen showed the images from the soon to come "Rock Band video game" - way to milk that money Paulie!). He played "Jet" from his Wings era- cool.


There was a lame tribute song to John, and played a nice version of "Something" on ukelele to George (no tribute to Ringo... unless of course he played "Drive My Car" for him!).

Paulie told some stories (that way he could catch his breath too)!.

And considerately, he backed the schmaltzy "Long and Winding Road" with "My Love", which provided a perfect time to hit the bathroom and the beer lines!

There were a couple of nice chestnuts: "I Got A Feeling", "Let Me Roll It", "I'm Down".

The "money shots" came later: "Hey Jude", "Let It Be", "Helter Skelter", "Live And Let Die" (with fireworks).

And the encores were perfect: "Day Tripper", "Yesterday", "Helter Skelter" etc.

A couple of notes...

1) Hey he's Paul McCartney... he can play anything he wants; but the first 1/2 of the show bogged down somewhat.

2) Sometimes it's better to get cheap seats... it rained for a long while, but because we were so high up, we were under the roof and stayed dry! Ha ha on tthe wet, weaalthy folks!

3) Why doesn't Paul have grey hair? I want the name of his hair colorist!

4) Paul did NOT play alot of bass... seemed that he played much more guitar (both acoustic and electric).

5) The last tune: "The End" was worth the price of admission alone!
6) Every song was a big sing -a-long.
7) They had bases marked off where the orginal Shea Stadium basefield field was. It was on concrete, so of course I had to slide into home!!!!!

He's Safe!

The setlist:

“Drive My Car”
“Jet”
“Only Mama Knows”
“Flaming Pie”
“Got To Get You Into My Life”
“Let Me Roll It”
“Highway”
“The Long and Winding Road”
“My Love”
“Blackbird”
“Here Today”
“Dance Tonight”
“Calico Skies”
“Mrs. Vanderbilt”
“Eleanor Rigby”
“Sing the Changes ”
“Band on the Run”
“Back in the U.S.S.R.”
“I’m Down”
“Something”
“I’ve Got a Feeling”
“Paperback Writer”
“A Day in the Life”/”Give Peace a Chance”
“Let It Be”
“Live and Let Die"
“Hey Jude”

Encores
“Day Tripper”
“Lady Madonna”
“I Saw Her Standing There (with Billy Joel)
“Yesterday”
“Helter Skelter”
“Get Back”
“Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”/”The End"

1 comment:

AC'63 said...

I saw Paul and Linda back in the early 90's at SkyDome, here in toronto. It didn't matter that I was in the nose bleed seats .. there was a Beatle down there singing. It was a great show