October 25, 2008

We Are Everywhere!



Due to a family event, my west coast cousin A. came to town. My cuz was a Grateful Dead insider from the start of the band when she attended the Acid Tests through the 80's. I don't often get to see her, being that she's been a left coaster for many years and I reside in Noo Yawk. As she is a couple of decades older than me, we never had that much in common, aside from an interest in the same band and a free spirit. And I spent much of my life not associating with most of my extended family aside from weddings and funerals (and luckily, there weren't too many of either!)

Anyway, I was aware over the years that she knew the band. For example, her son went to Wavy Gravy's camp and Phil Lesh's wife baby sat for him when he was a young pup. I never capitalized on that relationship (when I think about the years I could have exploited that connection, I want to hit myself in the head!). I went to tons of Dead shows and man, a little bit of balls on my part coulda made for a lot of interesting times. On the other hand, my times were plenty interesting and dangerous enough!

So, my cuz is telling me stories about playing double solitaire with Pigpen and hanging out with Owsley Stanley and told me how she only recently stopped wearing a necklace that Bear had given her many years ago.

She told me a story about how, once at a concert in NY, her friend had made some sort of pills out of Cocaine and THC and how she had given one to Garcia before a show. Garcia later told her that he could barely play and how it was an amazing dose.
I can't be sure, but it might have been this show. You can download it here.

All of this kinda reinforces a couple of things.

1) You never know what your blood might have been up to.
2) We are everywhere!

Bookage:
Grateful Dead Family Album



2 comments:

aikin said...

I don't know what happened, but I've never been more than the most casual Dead fan.

Did you hear about Merl Saunders dying today?
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE49Q6HE20081027

Nazz Nomad said...

yep- that sucks, fare thee well...